Claire D

Chinchilla First Aid Kit - Absolute Essentials

Absolute Essentials

A recent trawl through various forums/websites has revealed that the same problems occur more often than others - namely lack of appetite or total lack of eating, diarrhoea, and pain (bites/gut/tooth problems usually).

There do seem to be some essentials which seem to be necessary again and again.

Please note I am NOT suggesting home treatment for chinchilla illness - these items are essential UNTIL one can get veterinary treatment AT THE FISRT OPORTUNITY

I think there are 5 items which are absolutely essential for any chinchilla owner to have on standby at all times.

Probiotics (Vetark Avipro / Protexin - both available online or from vets). One of the most essential items in any chinchilla owners' first aid kit. Excellent for chins who are ill, have diarrhoea or other gastro-intestinal problems, are stressed by a move or sudden upset (shock), and for use in conjunction with antibiotic therapy.

Oxbow Critical Care or Supreme Science Recovery Foods - One of the first signs of illness in chinchillas is that they are seen to be off their food. It is absolutely essential to get high fibre foods into a sick chinchilla in order to keep their gut functioning. Lack of gut function (stasis) can be fatal.

Chinchillas who are not eating at all, are lying down, stretching and/or no droppings at all require IMMEDIATE veterinary intervention.

Vetark Critical Care/Dioralyte/Lectatde - Any chin who shows signs of illness, lethargy etc is at risk of dehydration. A chin who has not been eating and/or drinking requires rehydrating ASAP. Vetark Critical Care is specifically designed to rehydrate small animals and contains all the electrolytes etc which they require when initially ill. Dioralyte (chemists) and Lectade (vets) are also good rehydration fluids.

Calpol 6+ mild pain relief but ONLY until a chin can be assessed by a veterinarian.

Kaogel (vets and online) - This product is a totally inert treatment for diarrhoea and works by absorbing toxins from the gut. It is basically just china clay and pectin. Give doses (usually 0.5ml) 24 hours apart and monitor for improvement in droppings. It should only be given for 2 doses - if diarrhoea continues after the two doses then veterinary attention should be sought.

If I didn't have anything else in my first aid box, I'd make sure I had these